Friday, October 23, 2009

Maya Mist everywhere....

Hi all, I have two cards for you all today. But let me tell you what not to do when you are using Maya Mist or any other glimmer or spritz stuff. All right, I thought I was doing a good thing and putting a large piece of paper on my work table before I was getting ready to decorate some plain chipboard pieces with this glamorous stuff called Maya Mist. The first piece went pretty well and I was all proud of myself but wait, that was only the first piece. I had a bird and a wing to spritz. So the wing went well and as I put the small bottle of mist down to check the results of my wing out I knocked it over and had to pick it back up, but like a gopher I did not check if the little spray opening was pointed in the right direction and yes, you've guessed right, I pushed the bottle and the Avocado Metallic Maya Mist was all over everything. I mean over DP, some copies of projects I planned on making, a punch, some ribbon, you name it, it had mist all over it. I started cleaning up right away and was able to wipe a bunch of things off, but the DP and copies and ribbon where not to save. It is actually funny as I was warned that this stuff gets everywhere. Believe me, next time I use this stuff I will do it outside,LOL!! But let me show you the card that I made. It actually came out all right. Pretty CLEAN AND SIMPLE, but the effect of the Mist is stunning. I wish my camera would have captured that shimmer a bit better.




Most of the ingredients are from the Taylored Expressions Key Ingredients Kit for October.





The DP is 6x6 so it is perfect for my favorite size cards. The buttery colored strip on the front is textures cs and it is yummy. The Flower is not from the kit, but the bird is and is by Maya Road. In this Kit came an entire package of Maya Road chipboard birds and 2 bird cages, totally fun and they are plain. So when I saw that there was also a small spritz bottle of Avocado Metallic Maya Mist in it and after I saw the projects done by the Baker's Dozen, I knew I had to try that stuff out ;D.


Here is the Recipe for the card:

Paper: PTI Kraft, buttery yellow textured paper, DP from the Key Ingredients Kit

Stamp: Thank you for being there by Inkadinkado

Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Chalk Box Chestnut Roan for the sponging

Accessories: Maya Road chipboard bird from the Kit, Avocado Metallic Maya Mist also from the Kit, black Kaiser half pearl as the eye on the bird, Prima Flower from my stash, 3D-dots.

Taylor has these cool Kits all nicely put together with all the perfect coordinating material you'll need for some fun cards or other projects. I had a subscription for 3 month which cost $ 22.95 per month and the best part, you are getting charged around the 15th of the month and not all in advance which I really like. My 3 month subscription is up, but I will subscribe for the 6 months now. I love the quality of the papers and the fact that it is all ready for you. Would make a nice gift as well. You can read more about it here Key Ingredients Kit at Taylored Expressions


For my second card I played around with my chalks and my blender pen and an Whiff of Joy image I've had for a while, but really never inked up.



Recipe:
Paper: PTI White, DCWV pink textured cs, Basic Grey Urban Prairie

Stamp: Whiff of Joy (the name of this stamp was not on the package but it says an Elisabeth Bell image)

Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, pink Chalk ink

Accessories: Blender Pen, Pearlescent Chalks, Prima Hydrangeas from the Strawberry Collection, silver butterfly charm from Walmart, pink sheer ribbon from my stash ( I still have from Okinawa, Japan ;D), half pearls, silver spacer beads, violet glitter pen, Sakura Gel roller, 3D dots

I could not really get the shimmer of the chalks captured with my camera, but IRL it is pretty shimmery. The Sakura Gel roller was used on the swirl on the bottom of her jeans and the Violet glitter pen was used for the flowers in the basket, the flower on her jeans and her headband and bow on her shirt. It's a girlie card for sure, but I think I'll give this card to my 8 y.o. who has been writing and outstanding book report over her Fall break. :D You know, you've got to keep encourage them.

Well, that is it. I am sorry for the long post, but I just had to tell you all about my big mistake with this Maya Mist spray, LOL!!!

Have a wonderful weekend and thank you so very much for stopping by.

Hugs,

11 comments:

Dawn B. said...

Oh my goodness. I am not sure which one I like better Sabrina.. First the Taylor kits are amazing.. I think I would love these. I have never heard of Maya Mist. What a cool effect it gives.. Thanks for the warning..lol. I have to take a peek at them.. The second one is so my style..She is as sweet as can be...I never can get flowers arranged like that on a card.. Great stamping today.. and everyday..hugs.

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Sabrina - the choice is easy for me - I love them both! Love the colours and the DP with that gorgeous flower and bird on the first = the second one - well LOVE IT TO PIECES!! Beautiful work my friend - you rock card world with your creations! Loving it! Thanks for sharing!! God bless you! {{{hugs}}}

Carla Murphy said...

OMGosh - so funny! Glad you survived the Maya Mist incident Sabrina. Maybe that DP could be saved... you could start a whole new trend!! Both cards are GORGEOUS!!! You're really on a roll lately! You're inspiring me to get busy again.

Lori said...

Pretty cards, too bad you lost a few dp's and supplies, to get them that way!

Silke Ledlow said...

Hey - GF - you sound a lot like me...this could definitely happend to me :)!!! But afterall you created two gorgeous card!!! I guess you life and learn - LOL!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!! Hug ~S~

Velta said...

LOL Sabrina!!! You are too funny! The cards you have made are perfect!! I love your style and your chalk coloring too!! I have never used my chalks...need to pull those babies out! TFS!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

These are both so beautiful Sabrina!! i love the first with the bird and the Maya Mist. I am sorry I laughed at the story because I have had similar experiences. The card sure did turn out stunning though.

The second is so sweet. You colored it perfectly and I so love all your details.
hugs,
Chris

Genevieve said...

I love the green DP! It goes really well with the Maya Mist on the bird. Very cute card! And the second is cute as well! I love the bright colors and the flower accents!

Unknown said...

Hi Sabrina!
I love both of your cards (as always)!!
And I will remind of your words when I use Maya Mist, hee hee.
Your coloring with chalks are so pretty!! Love the subtle look of the image!
TFS~ {hugs}

Betty Wright said...

Sabrina, your cards are just beautiful, girl!!! I am laughing as I type this not because I do not feel for your glimmer glammed unintentional studio moment, but because it so sounds just like something I would do! Thanks for the heads up on this product and the how to use tip!!! I guess everyone gets glimmer stuff this year, huh? Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Grace said...

Hi Sabrina! Oh I have been there gf!!! I did almost the exact same thing once! I didn't learn though... I still spray in my craft room! LOL! Both your cards are just wonderful!!! I love the bird on the Talylored Expressions one... great colors and just really pretty! The second one is just adorable! I really love these stamps! I don't have any yet but they are on my wish list... we'll see if anybody's listening at Christmas! LOL! You do such great work! It's always a pleasure to visit you! Hugs!